My mom has made this for as long as I can remember in the days after Thanksgiving. I don't know why, but I thought Anthony wouldn't like it and then 2 years ago I decided to try it and he loved it. Now he requests it during the rest of the year as well...but I make it with one of those small rotisserie chickens you buy at the bakery of the grocery store.
There really isn't a recipe, so I'll make my best go at explaining what I do.
SAVE YOUR TURKEY CARCASS!!!
So after thanksgiving you save your turkey carcass -take as much meat off of it as you want to eat for other left overs, but you can never get it all off - and you want some left on for this anyway.
Put the entire carcass into a pan that can sit on your stove top, a roasting pan works fine b/c it won't fit in any of my pots. (when I do a small chicken it fits in a pot) Put water into the pan until the turkey is 1/2 to 3/4 of the way covered and then boil/simmer it for 2-3 hours. Adding liquid occasionally as needed.
Then take carcass out and pour liquid into a soup pot through a strainer (to catch any bones that may have fallen off). Then take as much meat as you can off the carcass and add it (shredded or cubed) into the broth.
Cut up an onion and add it to the broth as well, then salt and pepper to your desired taste (light on the salt). Oh, and sometimes I added a can of broth or so to make enough liquid IF I need.
Then let it simmer and add carrots, celery and spinach (however much you like). About 10 minutes before serving add some noodles - I use whole wheat noodles.
I make it with homemade bread and IT IS SO YUMMY!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment